Cassini Spacecraft’s Ring Dive Yields Saturn Surprises

The Cassini booster speckled bizarre windy structures during a initial of a 22 dives between a rings and a gas physique of Saturn — a world it has complicated adult tighten given 2004.


Cassini is in a final few months of a extended goal during a gas hulk before creation a suicidal plunge into Saturn’s atmosphere in September. Until then, Cassini’s dives into a uncharted segment of Saturn will uncover scientists some-more about a structure of a rings and a atmosphere.

“These images are shocking,” Kevin Baines, a scholarship group member for Cassini’s manifest and infrared mapping spectrometer, pronounced in a Facebook Live event currently (April 27). The eventuality was hold during a NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s goal control room in California, that is called a Space Flight Operations Facility. [Closest Saturn Pics Yet Snapped During Daring Dive (Video)]

NASA researchers pronounced that, over a march of a dive between Saturn and a rings on Apr 26, a Cassini booster has held images from Saturn's stick to a equator.
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

“We didn’t design to get anything scarcely as pleasing as these images,” Baines added. “All of a opposite structures we see on them are usually phenomenal.”

Showing cinema on a circuitously radio screen, Baines forked to a “belly button” of Saturn, that is a north pole. Nearby were tiny clouds — “curlicues,” he called them — with structures that scientists are still perplexing to understand.

Another design showed a tiny cloud, that Baines nicknamed a “little car” since it runs around a fringe of a hurricane-like hexagon during Saturn’s north pole. While a segment inside a hexagon is calm, a cloud — usually a brief stretch divided — zips along during a speed of around 300 mph (480 km/h). Its transformation is still feeble understood.

NASA's Cassini booster grabbed this tender picture of a hulk whirly in Saturn's atmosphere during a initial dive between Saturn and a rings on Apr 26.
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

Although Cassini has been during Saturn for scarcely 13 years, there are still some basics that scientists are fervent to know. Baines pronounced he would adore reckoning out how prolonged a day is, that is formidable to magnitude on a world with no surface. Linda Spilker, a Cassini plan scientist, combined that it would be useful to know a “seed” from that Saturn was shaped — a plain core a gas hulk built adult around as a world matured.

While it’s misleading if those long-standing mysteries will be solved, researchers design to solve other ones during a ring dives. One of a dives will magnitude a combination of a rings regulating Cassini’s vast dirt analyzer. While 99 percent of a rings is done adult of H2O ice, a remaining 1 percent’s combination is uncertain; some possibilities embody iron, silica, organics or a mixture, a researchers said.

Baines and Spilker also pronounced they’re anticipating Saturn will furnish some stormy weather in a entrance months, so that Cassini can demeanour during charge facilities from adult tighten before diving into a planet.

When a booster done hit with Earth again after a dive it reported that it was in glorious health, pronounced booster operations arch Julie Webster.

“The booster is perfect, as always,” she said. “Everything came in usually right down a middle. We weren’t one telemetry indicate off; [there wasn’t] anything we didn’t design final night. It was ideal right from a really beginning.”

The researchers combined that some of Cassini’s final views before diving into Saturn will embody a orange moon of Titan — that it usually flew by for a final time final week — as good as a icy moon of Enceladus, and Earth itself.

Follow Elizabeth Howell @howellspace, or Space.com @Spacedotcom. We’re also on Facebookand Google+. Original essay on Space.com.


Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail stories@tutuz.com