The Dallas Cowboys’ high-flying offense strike a walk in a second half of a 28-17 victory over a Arizona Cardinals on Monday night. Here’s what we schooled from a game:
1. Dak Prescott had one of his best games throwing on a run of his immature career. The second-year passer connected twice with Brice Butler, initial for a touchdown and after for a large benefit on a expostulate that finished in a touchdown run from Ezekiel Elliott that dejected Arizona’s quip hopes. Prescott also rushed for a touchdown, front-flipping over a defender and a goalline in one of his many finish games of a season. While other components of Dallas’ offense (and defense) still work on putting things together, Prescott is display his rookie deteriorate was no fluke.
2. Dallas found surprising success with bottom rushes opposite Arizona’s descent line, that struggled mightily on a edges and forced Palmer to constantly step adult to equivocate being sacked. Demarcus Lawrence was a apprehension off a edge, recording 3 sacks and removing to Palmer many some-more times than that. With 6.5 sacks in 3 games, Lawrence is in a center of a competition for a pouch climax as we nearby a entertain pole. Maliek Collins was right behind Lawrence on Monday night with dual sacks of his own.
3. Dallas’ visit pressure, that enclosed 6 sacks was visibly inspiring Palmer, who lofted a pass off his behind feet with room to step into a third-down throw, underthrowing an open receiver. He was effective on a expostulate late in a fourth, notwithstanding a pressure, though a subsequent possession went down in abandon after a three-man rush got to Palmer on third down, effectively finale Arizona’s quip hopes. Another three-man rush ran right around Cardinals tackles John Wetzel and Jared Veldheer on a Cardinals’ subsequent drive, and a five-man conflict resulted in another pouch shortly afterward on a night to forget for a dual tackles.
4. Has Larry Fitzgerald aged during all? The wideout held 13 passes for 149 yards and a touchdown, including an vast squeeze in that he took a round from Orlando Scandrick in mid-air, bobbling it off his forearm before securing it once on a ground. The locate extended a Cardinals expostulate that resulted in a Phil Dawson margin goal. The 34-year-old upheld Marvin Harrison for eighth place on a NFL’s all-time receiving yards list with his touchdown squeeze (hat tip, @NFLResearch) and was a visit aim of Palmer’s, who is as Around a NFL’s Marc Sessler tweeted one of a league’s some-more interesting quarterbacks to watch, win or lose. We’ll skip Fitz once he hangs it up.
5. It competence only be me (I don’t consider it is), though by 3 games, Ezekiel Elliott has looked a step slow. Save for a 30-yard run in a initial half, he again struggled to get going until a fourth-quarter expostulate that put a diversion away. Elliott did demeanour some-more like his rookie-season self on that drive, violation tackles on his dual carries inside a 15, initial for 7 yards and afterwards for eight, with a latter finishing in a finish zone. Elliott’s tip speeds — 17.84 mph maximum, that came in Week 1, per Next Gen Stats — seem to determine with this notion. His max speeds were adult and down by many of final deteriorate (as expected), though he’d neared 19 mph by Week 3 of final season. In 8 of those weeks, he was above 19. He strike a 17.69 limit on Monday and hasn’t burst 18 so distant this season, that has a lot to do with …
6. The Cowboys’ descent line. This is a section that only isn’t where it was final deteriorate during this time, and misses Ron Leary and Doug Free. The wish is they’ll get it going — deliberation a talent that stays within a group, they will — though right now, they aren’t consistently formulating opportunities for Elliott to run. Fortunately, they’re safeguarding one of a improved mobile quarterbacks who is improving by a week.
Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail email@example.com