NFL evaluators had Saturday’s Alabama-Florida State diversion circled on a calendar good before a deteriorate started. There substantially won’t be another diversion this deteriorate with some-more destiny NFL players than a one that took place in Atlanta on Saturday night. While Alabama pulled divided in a second half for a 24-7 win, outward of a few plays on special teams, we suspicion a teams were flattering uniformly matched. In a midst of a diversion like this, there are always a handful of players that burst out to me. Here are a guys that stood out Saturday night.
1. After being buried in a Alabama offense final season, it was good to see WR Calvin Ridley creation plays and stretching a margin vertically. That was a margin with a lot quick guys on it, and he was clearly a fastest.
Ridley didn’t accept a ton of hum in a offseason, and we consider a lot of that has to do with final season. He had a plain year (72 catches for 769 yards, 7 TDs), yet he didn’t have a special year. Last night was an early glance of him in Alabama’s new offense (with former NFL partner Brian Daboll as a coordinator), and they got him behind to doing what he does best … opposite one of a many jaunty secondaries in a country.
He deserves to be in a review when it comes to a tip receiver in college football.
2. Coming into this game, we suspicion Alabama S Minkah Fitzpatrick and Florida State S Derwin James were chosen players during their position. They lived adult to a hype on Saturday.
Even yet he gave adult a contested touchdown to FSU’s Auden Tate, Fitzpatrick stood out in a certain way. He was personification nearby a line of scrimmage, he was inside in some nickel packages and he lined adult outward during corner. He has big-time rebellious ability when we watch him as a run defender and blitzer. There’s a lot of things he can do, and he was drifting around a field.
Alabama has constructed a lot of big-time DBs, and a scouts that have been by Tuscaloosa speak about Fitzpatrick being right adult with a best of them. He was never out of position Saturday. Even on a Tate TD, he was right there, raking during a ball. Fitzpatrick done a large play on special teams, too, restraint a margin goal.
This was a initial demeanour during James given early final deteriorate (suffered a meniscus rip in Week Two), and he had a good game. He generated a lot of vigour on blitzes and was superb as a tackler in a open field. He stopped QB Jalen Hurts in space a integrate times, that is not an easy assignment. He looks like a same man we saw before a injury. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to see him get concerned in a lapse diversion — Alabama avoided him — yet I’ll be repelled if he doesn’t take one behind for a measure this season.
3. There were several destiny NFL using backs on a margin Saturday night. They all flashed. we know FSU’s Cam Akers is only a beginner and averaged 3 yards per lift vs. Alabama (10 rushes for 30 yards). we don’t caring what a box measure says — he looked good using a ball. He’s a genuine deal. FSU’s Jacques Patrick and Alabama’s Bo Scarbrough are both big, absolute backs. Alabama’s Damien Harris led all rushers with 73 yards, including a earthy TD run, and done a outrageous play on special teams, restraint a punt. He was impressive. Not to mention, we recently spoke to an NFL crew executive who believes a Tide’s Najee Harris will be a Alabama RB everybody is articulate about by a finish of a season.
4. Alabama’s Ronnie Harrison is a earthy safety. He reminds me of Landon Collins when we watch him play in a Alabama defense. He’s a force actor who’s also jaunty adequate to make some plays over a top. He didn’t make a ton of plays vs. FSU, yet he’s an intriguing guy.
5. The biggest doubt symbol entrance out of a diversion is a health of FSU QB Deondre Francois, who left late in a fourth entertain with a left leg damage after being sacked by Harrison. It was unequivocally hapless to see him get hurt. Francois played unequivocally good until late in a third quarter. He showed poise, copiousness of arm strength. There weren’t outrageous throwing windows for him, and there was a lot of pressure, yet he still hung in there and was personification well. Interceptions harm him late. Overall, opposite that widespread defense, we came divided bullish on Francois. we suspicion he achieved improved than a box measure (19 of 33 for 210 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs) suggests.
Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.
Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail email@example.com