South Korea Says Trump Will Seek Its Consent for Any Strike on North

Photo

President Moon Jae-in of South Korea with President Trump at the White House in June.

Credit
Pete Marovich for The New York Times

SEOUL, South Korea — President Moon Jae-in said on Thursday that President Trump had agreed to seek South Korea’s consent before taking any action on North Korea, including a military strike, assuring his public that there would be no war on the Korean Peninsula.


“No matter what options the United States and President Trump want to use, they have promised to have full consultation with South Korea and get our consent in advance,” Mr. Moon said in a nationally televised news conference. “This is a firm agreement between South Korea and the United States. The people can be assured that there will be no war.”

Mr. Moon said the United States and Mr. Trump agreed with South Korea that the standoff over North Korea’s nuclear weapons programs should be resolved through sanctions and pressure, and eventually through dialogue.

Mr. Trump’s recent rhetoric on North Korea, including a promise to bring “fire and fury” to the country if it continues to threaten the United States with nuclear missiles, has alarmed many people in South Korea. On Tuesday, Mr. Moon said that unilateral American military action against the North would be intolerable.

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

South Korean officials fear that a military strike on the North could easily escalate into a broader conflict on the Korean Peninsula, which has technically been in a state of war for decades, as fighting in the Korean War ended in 1953 with a truce, not a peace treaty. Mr. Moon said a return to combat would lay waste to the prosperous economy that South Koreans have built since then.

Continue reading the main story


Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail stories@tutuz.com