Apple CEO Tim Cook arguably took a hardest strike this week. After Apple motionless to lift a New York Times app from China, critics took to amicable media to contend Cook, who has turn a remoteness and rights advocate, had done a wrong move. Just a integrate of days later, news flush that Apple’s opening final year wasn’t as good as a company’s house would’ve liked. Cook and his associate executives, then, were forced to take a compensate cut in 2016.
This is Fortune’s weekly roundup of a biggest Apple news this week. To see final week’s roundup, click here.
But other things happened in Apple’s (aapl) star in a final week. And in this weekly roundup of Apple news from Fortune, we’re going to plead all that and more.
Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s record newsletter
Read on for more:
- Apple CEO Tim Cook took a compensate cut in 2016 after his association unsuccessful to strike a inner income and handling income targets, Apple suggested in a regulatory filing. Cook took home $8.7 million in remuneration in 2016, down from a $10.3 million he done in 2015. The rebate came after Apple in 2016 tallied a initial year-over-year decrease in annual income in years. The house had also hoped Apple would beget $60.3 billion in handling income final year, though it indeed came in during $60 billion.
- In a argumentative move, Apple pulled New York Times news apps from a App Store in China. According to a Times, Chinese authorities done a ask to Apple and a iPhone builder complied. An Apple orator pronounced that a app was “in defilement of inner regulations.” Later in a week, Chinese state-run newspapers praised Apple’s move and indicted a Times of attempting to “wield change in China’s inner affairs.” Meanwhile, giveaway debate advocates have railed opposite a pierce and Apple for complying with a supervision request.
- Apple’s App Store had a biggest year ever in 2016. The digital marketplace handed out $20 billion in common revenue to all developers in 2016, adult 40% compared to 2015. Apple has so distant paid out $60 billion to developers and pronounced that New Year’s Day was a best day ever, with consumers creation scarcely $240 million in app purchases.
- Beware! A newly detected malware can solidify your Mac. The malware, that was detected by confidence organisation Malwarebytes, finds a approach to your appurtenance after we revisit a handful of antagonistic sites. It afterwards will possibly harmonise an unconstrained tide of Mail messages or open iTunes with warnings of a virus. It asks we to call a series to repair your machine. Along a way, it freezes your Mac, digest it useless. To stay safe, don’t call a series and be heedful of clicking on any couple to a site we don’t know.
- Canada this week shuttered an investigation into either Apple intent in anti-competitive function in a iPhone business. The Canadian Competition Bureau pronounced on Friday that it had not found adequate justification to continue a review and pronounced that Apple’s terms on offered iPhones did not have “a poignant outcome on competition.”
- Apple is relocating in on Samsung’s turf by announcing skeleton to open a initial sell store in South Korea. The store will be located in Seoul and Apple is now employing people to work there.
- Apple skeleton to deposit $1 billion in a tech fund combined by Japan’s SoftBank. The fund, that could bloat to distant some-more than $25 billion, will be used to make vital investments in cutting-edge technologies. In a statement, Apple pronounced that it believes a account will concede companies to some-more fast scale adult “technology that might be strategically critical to Apple.”
For some-more about Tim Cook, watch:
One some-more thing…Apple is temporarily moving a flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City. While Apple is renovating a potion cube, it will be offered a products during a FAO Schwartz only stairs divided from a stream location. Apple will start renovations and open a proxy store on Jan. 20.
Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org