Travelers beware: Meth-laced 7Up reportedly causes genocide in Mexico


Cans of soda are displayed in a box during Kwik Stops Liquor in San Diego on Feb. 13, 2014. (Sam Hodgson/Reuters)

Methamphetamine-laced 7Up has reportedly caused one genocide and sent 7 other people to a sanatorium in northern Mexico, call warnings to travelers from U.S. health professionals.


Mexican authorities have removed the soothing splash from shelves in a Mexicali area, just south of a California border, and are questioning how a drug done a approach into a soda, according to a news recover from the Baja California Health Department and a Facebook post from a Baja profession ubiquitous on Monday. The reported cases were in a Mexicali Valley, about 120 miles from San Diego.

Experts are warning travelers to a area to compensate additional courtesy to either a seals on their food and drinks are intact. Banner Health, that operates 28 hospitals in 6 U.S. states, says a toxicologists and puncture dialect physicians are on high warning following a reports of tampering.

“If we notice any disproportion in color, ambience or smell, chuck it out,” Daniel Brooks, medical executive during a Banner Poison and Drug Information Center in Phoenix, pronounced in a news release on Wednesday.

Side effects of immoderate a infested soothing splash embody exasperation of a mouth or throat, blazing in a esophagus, revulsion or vomiting, problem respirating and a quick or strange heartbeat, according to the Banner Health news release.

The profession ubiquitous in Baja California state has non-stop an review into a genocide and illnesses that resulted from a infested drinks.

7Up products in a United States have not been contaminated, Chris Barnes, a orator for Dr Pepper Snapple Group, told AZ Central.

“None of a 7Up products sole in a U.S. are influenced by a emanate being reported in Mexico,” Barnes said. “Dr Pepper Snapple owns and licenses a 7Up code usually in a U.S. and a territories. We do not market, sell or discharge a code internationally.”

People who devour drinks or food suspected to have been infested in any demeanour should immediately strike a Poison Control Center during 800-222-1222.

An review by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this summer found that some-more than 70 travelers to comprehensive resorts in Mexico blacked out after celebration tiny and assuage amounts of alcohol, and many reported being robbed, assaulted or differently harmed while they were unconscious. Several died, according to a investigation.

Following a report, a U.S. State Department in July warned travelers to Mexico about probable sinister or tawdry ethanol that could means illness and blackouts.

Read more: 


Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail stories@tutuz.com