CHICAGO — Rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky got his possibility to start in Chicago. The second-overall collect showed signs of guarantee in a Bears’ 20-17 loss to a Minnesota Vikings. Kai Forbath’s 26-yard margin idea in a shutting seconds of a diversion carried a Vikings to feat after Case Keenum replaced Sam Bradford during quarterback in a second quarter.
Here’s what we schooled during Monday night’s game:
1. Mitchell Trubisky’s initial career start was a churned bag.
The Good: Trubisky displayed a pinpoint correctness he showed this preseason was no fluke. When a rookie rolls out and throws on a run, it’s a thing of beauty. The Bears employed a rookie’s athleticism, removing him out of a slot mostly and simplifying his reads. Trubisky’s athleticism authorised a Bears to variegate a playbook, utilizing some-more widen runs and slot movement. The rookie was during his best removing a round out of his hands quickly. He done a receiver corps of second-fiddles scarcely serviceable.
The Not So Good: As with many rookies, however, Trubisky struggled with coherence opposite Mike Zimmer’s defense. He missed a shell call early and fumbled on a pouch heading a Vikings initial points of a game. Trubisky is a marvel when a play breaks down, though missed a few throws in a pocket, and didn’t widen a margin many during all. Through 3 buliding he finished only 10 of 21 passes for 102 yards and couldn’t put points on a house in a initial half notwithstanding his initial 4 drives removing into Vikings’ domain (all 4 finale in punts). Trubisky’s teammates didn’t assistance a rookie out much, picking adult several dear penalties early. His descent line — quite tackle Charles Leno — also authorised a Vikings to get unchanging vigour in a rookie’s face. Trubisky’s initial career TD pass came on a would-be interception sloping into Zack Miller’s hands on a rollout. It was a wise initial touchdown for a rookie. Trubisky done a heartless blunder when a brief pass dictated for Miller landed him his initial interception with roughly dual mins left in a game.
To boil it down: Trubisky owns extensive upside and displayed since he’s a transparent ascent on Mike Glennon, though has several strides to make in his development.
2. Did somebody barter bodies with John Fox? The routinely regressive manager gave a thumbs adult on a pleasing feign punt in a fourth entertain that resulted in Chicago’s initial touchdown of a diversion and kept a Bears in a contest. Later a Bears’ offense unfurled a miraculous double illustration choice two-point acclimatisation to tie a diversion during 17. If Trubisky unleased a fun in Fox, we’re all a improved for it.
3. Sam Bradford’s lapse lasted fewer than dual quarters. After blank a past 3 games with a knee injury, a rootless quarterback was yanked from a diversion on a final expostulate of a initial half in preference of Case Keenum. Bradford didn’t demeanour right from a get-go. The maestro signal-caller was out of sync with his receivers and done bad decisions, including sitting perpetually in a finish section and holding a safety. More than anything Bradford didn’t demeanour healthy during all and was a sitting steep in a slot (four sacks). He was a risk to himself and his group on a field. Zimmer had no choice though to lift a starter. Bradford finished 5-of-11 flitting for 36 yards.
4. The Vikings offense put adult 34 sum yards on 26 plays with Bradford underneath center. When Case Keenum took over, a Vikings offense found life. After a token expostulate to finish a half, Keenum remained in to start a third entertain and led a 13-play, 75-yard drive, culminating on a rollout TD toss opposite his physique to parsimonious finish Kyle Rudolph. Keenum led back-to-back touchdown drives to open a second half. With Keenum means to evasion rushers, a Vikings offense simply ran improved with a backup underneath center. He finished 17-for-21 flitting for 140 yards and a TD. With Bradford clearly still hobbled, Keenum personification solid, and Teddy Bridgewater on a trail to presumably return, a Vikings QB conditions stays a ghastly jumble.
5. The rush to reinstate Dalvin Cook has begun. Latavius Murray warranted a start and got many of a early carries as a Vikings offense struggled. Then Jerick McKinnon destitute out, shouldering Minnesota’s offense. The dual-threat behind ripped off a 58-yard TD run in a second half, totaled 16 carries for 95 yards and was a Vikings heading receiver with 6 receptions for 51 yards. McKinnon accounted for 146 of a Vikings 300 sum yards. After sitting behind Adrian Peterson, afterwards being buried behind a energetic rookie to start a season, McKinnon deserves a shot during a lead role. He’s a closer illustration to a behind a Vikings offense needs than a plodding Murray.
6. The Vikings invulnerability continues to douse hostile offenses. Everson Griffen broken Bears blockers all game. The Bears couldn’t run a round early interjection to vigourous run invulnerability adult a gut. The backend done life formidable for Trubisky. Harrison Smith was thrown during 4 times, per Pro Football Focus, giving adult only one locate for reduction 3 yards and warranted a game-winning interception. The rookie quarterback didn’t even exam Xavier Rhodes, who wasn’t targeted during all for a initial time in his career, per PFF. Zimmer’s invulnerability once again valid it can lift an disproportionate offense to a victory.
7. Speaking of defensive efforts, Bears pass rusher Leonard Floyd played his best diversion as a pro, earning 6 tackles, 4 for loss, dual sacks and 3 QB hits. Chicago desperately needs a first-round collect to live adult to his talent. Akiem Hicks also continued his illusory season, earning dual sacks and 3 tackles for loss. Hicks’ opening this deteriorate will expected fly underneath a radar since he’s not a large name and plays on a losing team, though he’s been illusory so far.
Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail email@example.com