Meet this year’s Michigan, a lot like final year’s Michigan.
The regulation a Wolverines followed a deteriorate ago was to benefaction a offset offense — 212.9 yards per diversion on a ground, 212.0 yards an tour in a atmosphere — that could do some-more than adequate to element a maddeningly assertive defense. It was adequate to secure a 10-win season.
Michigan’s starting lineup was wiped out by graduation and defections to a NFL, and there were reasonable concerns it competence take some time for a Wolverines to figure things out in 2017. They seemed generally reasonable when a Wolverines fell behind Florida on Saturday by a touchdown on a span of defensive touchdowns.
But that was a duration hiccup. Michigan eventually rolled adult 215 rushing yards and 218 flitting yards, and a subsequent era of Wolverine defenders hold Florida to 56 yards or fewer in each quarter. The invulnerability even pitched in with a fail liberation for a measure in a 33-17 triumph.
It done Michigan one of a biggest winners of a opening weekend, even if Florida’s register was diluted given of suspensions. The Wolverines substantially won’t see a ranked group again until an Oct. 21 revisit to Penn State, and that leaves copiousness of time to neat things up. Jim Harbaugh’s group wasn’t perfect, though it looked able of doing a excellent sense of final season’s chronicle of a Wolverines.
* Kelly Bryant: The unenviable charge of subsequent Deshaun Watson as Clemson’s quarterback is Bryant’s. When Tajh Boyd graduated after a 2013 season, it was Cole Stoudt who quickly hold a starting pursuit before Watson seized it. Bryant’s pursuit in 2017: Don’t spin a footnote like Stoudt, and in a routine keep a Tigers in a playoff conversation.
Ripping detached Kent State doesn’t pledge anything, though Bryant did what he indispensable to do and some-more in Clemson’s 56-3 pummeling of a Golden Flashes. He was 16 of 22 for 236 yards, a touchdown and an interception while tacking on 77 yards and a TD on 7 carries. The foe spin increases subsequent week opposite Auburn, though Bryant looked like a man who can deflect off younger challengers this year.
* California: It competence spin out that North Carolina isn’t any good during all. But even if a Tar Heels pulp this season, it won’t lessen how gratified a Golden Bears will be with their season-opening victory.
California done a late coaching change when it discharged Sonny Dykes in Jan and afterwards hired first-time conduct manager Justin Wilcox to reinstate him. The Golden Bears were a separate on invulnerability underneath Dykes and figured to be in transition on offense, though a 35-30 feat in Chapel Hill was a acquire sign.
Not usually that, though California trafficked from a West Coast for what felt like a 9:20 a.m. kickoff for a players and came divided with a victory. Few teams should exit a initial weekend some-more confident than a Golden Bears.
* Drew Lock: It doesn’t matter who it came against; a Missouri youth posted 521-yards and 7 TDs in a Tigers’ 72-43 subjection of Missouri State. Lock, who sensitively took a estimable step brazen final season, helped Mizzou hurl adult 815 yards in a opener. Missouri substantially won’t contend for an SEC East title, and a invulnerability still has problems, though this is a group with a possibility to pull for an eight-win season.
* Maryland: The biggest reason to be down on DJ Durkin’s group this year was a installed report that featured Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas and Wisconsin — and, presumably, a slight trail to play eligibility. But in bagging a 51-41 feat during Texas, a Terrapins vividly demonstrated their improvement.
Certainly, a small doubt is fitting given it is transparent Tom Herman’s attainment in Austin has not immediately softened a Longhorns’ defense. Nonetheless, Maryland warranted a initial feat over a ranked group given 2010, finale a third-longest such drought among Power Five programs (only Rutgers and Kansas have left longer). That’s something to applaud for a module that’s been an afterthought on a inhabitant theatre this decade for all besides a conform statements.
* UAB: The Blazers are back, 38-7 winners over Alabama AM in front of a largest throng in module history[al.com] in their initial diversion given 2014. The module was close down after that season, though a propagandize was pressured to revive a competition (both by a open and Conference USA, that was on a verge of booting UAB given it no longer fielded a football team).
One feat doesn’t make a remaining highway any reduction daunting; a Blazers are fundamentally only a step above a start-up module during this stage. Still, a easiest group in a FBS for a neutral spectator to base for has a feat in a bank before Labor Day and something to build on as a deteriorate develops.
* Florida’s offense: It’s a good thing for a Gators they scored touchdowns on a span of interception earnings in a initial 20 minutes. Otherwise, a measure of their detriment to Michigan (33-17) would demeanour as bad as all else compared with a Wolverines’ romp.
Florida totaled 192 yards opposite a rebuilt Michigan invulnerability masterminded by coordinator Don Brown, including a scanty 11 rushing yards. Both redshirt beginner Feleipe Franks and connoisseur send Malik Zaire took turns mustering little, and Luke Del Rio didn’t get off a bench.
Suspensions certainly played a purpose in a ineptitude, and if Florida had enjoyed copiousness of success on offense in new years, this is a blip that could be shrugged off simply enough. The Gators haven’t, ensuring legitimate and satisfactory questions will follow in a arise of such a forgettable showing.
* N.C. State: More than doubled adult South Carolina in yardage (504-246) and still lost, 35-28, to a Gamecocks. The Wolfpack will still find a approach to win a diversion or dual they shouldn’t, and they’ll substantially remove another diversion they should win — it’s what they do.
But for anyone who severely entertained thoughts that N.C. State would be a playoff contender, let this be a sign there aren’t many programs as glued to a 7-5/8-4 neighborhood, even when things are during their best, as a Wolfpack.
* Texas: This isn’t a bad time to remind everybody that while Houston kick 3 top-10 teams underneath Herman, it also mislaid 3 games as a double-digit favorite during his two-year tenure.
In short, Herman is a excellent descent mind though he isn’t a spectacle worker, as Texas fans schooled some-more emphatically than they ever would have guessed in a Longhorns’ opener. Maryland averaged 6.1 yards a lift in a 51-41 victory, clearly showing how distant a invulnerability contingency swell for a Longhorns to acquire a place in a inhabitant conversation.
More college football coverage:
Do you have an unusual story to tell? E-mail email@example.com